SELANGOR BUSINESS SCHOOL DEAN
Professor Dr Mohd Faiz bin Abdullah graduated with First Class Honours in Law (LLB) from the International Islamic University in 1989. Prior to that, he obtained his Bachelor’s degree with Honours in English Literature from Universiti Malaya in 1978 with concentration in Philosophy and Shakespeare and Minors in French, Arabic and Sanskrit. He was called to the Malaysian Bar in 1990, beginning his legal career with Zain & Co. Soon after that, Dr Faiz branched out into corporate law with public listed companies and was later appointed CEO of Talasco Insurance Berhad, Chairman and CEO of public-listed Arus Murni Berhad as well as chairman of Faiz Securities Berhad.
As a managing partner of Faiz & Co, Advocates & Solicitors, Dr Faiz has been in legal practice for more than 25 years, specialising in mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and advisory, forensic due diligence and public interest litigation. During these years, Dr Faiz earned his MBA in Business Law and Corporate Finance and later his PhD. Dr Faiz is the founding Dean and Professor of Selangor Business School, UNISEL. He is also Special Advisor on International Policy and Affairs to YAB Dato’ Menteri Besar, Dato’ Seri Mohamed Azmin bin Ali.
Dr Faiz is the author of three books. The first book entitled The Province of Sharīʿah Determined – Fundamental Rethink of the Sharīʿah has been critically acclaimed as a tour de force in the discourse on Sharīʿah law, Western law as well as Islamic and Western philosophy. His second book, entitled Wars of Jurisprudence – Clash between Contractual Justice and Freedom of Contract again breaks new ground in legal scholarship and advocacy by calling for reform of contract law in the name of contractual justice. His third book, Propelling Selangor’s Transformation into a Regional Smart State details the transformation process of the state as spearheaded by YAB Dato’ Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali. Among other things, Dr Faiz calls for the state to re-strategize its long-term plans in view of the onset of the Fourth Industrial Revolution. His fourth book entitled Voyage to Excellence – Strategic Management for the 21st Century, is due for publication in April 2018.
Prof. Dr. Mohd Faiz Abdullah
SELANGOR BUSINESS SCHOOL
The establishment of Selangor Business School (SBS) was in direct response to expressions of concern and enquiries by YAB Dato’ Seri Mohamed Azmin bin Ali, Menteri Besar of Selangor, over the absence of a home-grown state-run graduate business school in Selangor to produce graduates who fulfil the requirements and needs of the business, corporate and public service sectors and become value contributors and leaders at all strategic levels.
SBS will participate actively in the advancement of knowledge, diffusion of learning and the gaining of competitive advantage in the area of business, corporate and public services management and thereby contribute to moulding future business practices. It will forge strategic alliances and partnerships as well as engage in collaborative enterprises with key industries, business, corporations and public service institutions. Additionally, it will support Selangor’s transformational program and socio-economic development agenda of driving development and accelerating talent development.
Inter alia, it aims to produce well-rounded, dynamic and globally oriented graduates who excel in core competencies that would fulfill the demands of the business, corporate, industrial and public sector and become value contributors and leaders at all strategic levels. As Selangor moves towards a knowledge economy while maintaining its vibrant growth, our educational trajectory must also keep pace, a need made more pressing with the onset of the Fourth Industrial Revolution. Hence SBS must get off the ground without any unnecessary delay. It cannot and it must not be bogged down by the bureaucratic hurdles and outdated terms of reference. The SBS will serve as a showcase for the operation of a new paradigm. It must go where others fear to tread.
To be the best business school in Malaysia and a leading player in Southeast Asia by 2027.
- To produce graduates who excel in core competencies and knowledge that would fulfill the requirements and demands of the business, corporate, industrial and public service sectors;
- To produce well-rounded, dynamic and globally oriented graduates who are conscious of their societal role as value contributors and leaders at all strategic levels;
- To participate actively in the advancement of knowledge, diffusion of learning and the gaining of competitive advantage in the area of business, corporate and public services management;
- To forge strategic alliances and partnerships as well as engage in collaborative enterprises with key industries, businesses, corporations, public service and educational institutions;
- To support the socio-economic agenda of the state and thereby contribute to driving economic and social development
- To accelerate human capital development in administration and management of business, corporate and public sectors towards building a knowledge economy in a SMART state where prosperity goes hand in hand with social justice.